***For RX570 RX580 models you must use a new PolarisBiosEditor version – See Here and Here for SRBPolaris V2.6. You also need to install AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher, found here. You need this to bypass the bios signature check on the new drivers.***
Flashing your GPU’s bios is a quick and effective way to increase your hashrate and at the same time reduce your power consumption. This can be a risky procedure, and you can damage your cards (bricked gpu) if not done properly. We take no responsibility for your use of this information. At your own risk ! Keep in mind this will probably void your warranty, and if you RMA be sure to put the original bios in place. Always backup the original bios.
For the last generation of AMD cards, please see info from here for Hawaii chips, and Tonga chips. For Rx470/480 generation see here. The best resources and forum on this subject is without a doubt the overclockers.net website. So a big thanks to them !
If you have a bios switch, place it to the second position, usually towards the ports on the back of the card. This is a basic guide, see the above links to actually understand what you are doing. We cannot stress this enough. You can only edit your bios with Polaris Bios Editor if its Hynix or Samsung memory.
- Close all applications using the GPU, MSI afterburner, etc.
- Open AtiWinFlash (found here) as administrator.
- Save a backup of the bios.
- Create a copy of that bios, and open Polaris bios editor as administrator. Download Here.
- Here you can change voltages, memory clocks, core clocks and timings. You can adjust those with MSI afterburner after, except for the memory timings. Take the “straps” of 1500 and copy paste them to all the above straps (up to 2000 inclusively). Save bios.
- With AtiWinFlash, open the new bios and install it. This can take a minute. It is preferable to use the command line interface, the GUI works also – its just a bit more risky to use.
- If you run into a driver problem, you may need to reinstall your video drivers (this may always be a good idea). Run DDU in safe mode, this is the best way to reinstall drivers.
Some experienced miners have uploaded their own bios for everyone to use. If you use them please donate a little to show your appreciation. Always give back to the community when you take. A word of caution using other people’s bios. Make sure you have the exact model the bios is made for, with the same memory type: hynix, elpida or samsung.
If your card is unstable, try copying only the straps for 1625 and over, or 1750 and over (especially if you have samsung memory. Start with the 1750. Don’t forget to set memory at 2000 for example in MSI afterburner, then reboot the rig. You should see good results after. Check your HW errors/incorrect shares – if you have some – reduce memory clock.
To find your specific bios search for it. Or browse forum posts like this one. For a 480 reference, Boysie has a good mod. Do not flash a reference bios on an aftermarket card, this will not end well. For those with 470 Sapphire Nitro 4g and Elpida memory, and those with the 4gb 480 Elpida Sapphire Nitro, follow the links. You can also check out Anoraks VBIOS Collection here.
For those with older cards this method will not work. But adaseb user on Bitcointalk has posted a very good guide to changing your bios on 7950/7970/280x/290/290x cards. Read about it here.